A transformer is an Electrical device which steps up and steps down the AC Electrical Power at different voltage/current levels. These symbols are by IEC standard.
- Aircore: They transfer radio frequency currents which are used in radio transmission. The construction involves two coils wound on an insulating substance.
- Iron core: Simple
- Ferrite core: Provides high magnetic permeability and has reduced Eddy Current losses.
- Shield: A shield is involved which reduces the surge impact.
- Autotransformer: Built on single core and helps the stepping up/down for small values. eg 5-10%
- PT: Also known as Instrumentation transformer. It is used to sample the high values of potential. For example, consider a power system with 500kV line. Most voltmeters are can deal with 500V. Now we can use a PT to sample 500kV to 500V and can measure it easily.
- CT: Same as PT here the quantity is current.